Week 1 Lecture
During value creation processes, there are also impacts on social environment.
Corporation should pay attention to stable development and ensure corporation to operate in a long run with supports of all stakeholders.
Triple bottom line
- Economic – Profit (Short-run)
- Environmental – Planet (Long-run)
- Social – People (Long-run)
No best practice, Examples ONLY
We are going to evaluate how organisations are doing nowadays.
IR – Integrated Report
It tries to combine the existing financial annual report and the sustainability report.
Organisations tend to use natural capitals (E.g. water, air) without paying for them.
What role do accounting profession play?
They try to tie sustainability reporting to traditional financial reporting.
大概中国社会真的还没发展到可以接受 sustainability 的程度。
Maybe there is still a long way to run before the acceptance of sustainability in China.
Voluntary –> Mandatory
- Does organisation has economic activity to address wider impacts they have?
- Organisations should provide verifiable information so that they can be held accountable for those impacts.
Sustainability –> Accountability
Moral reasoning –> Right or Wrong or Depends (context) –> Rules or Principles
One objective case study is chosen. Mainly interviews are conducted.
Focus on how and why questions
Focus on particulars of a situation:
- Depth over breadth (What is happening in a particular case)
- Inductive reasoning (Qual) over deductive reasoning (Quan)
Week 1 Tutorial
Focus points for papers
- Research gap: How relate to previous literature, What is unique and is not done before, What is the aim, What research question they choose to get this aim, Why important
- Methods: The way in which they gather the data, Whether data is helpful in answering questions stated by authors.
- Theory: Explain theory, Explain findings using the theories.
- Details and findings found in the paper.
- What do we learn from the paper, Why is it important to study.
Three types of contributions
- Empirical contribution
- Methodological contribution
- Theoretical contribution
Regulation will not necessarily result in enhanced corporate accountability.